Top riders getting ready for Eastern Cape XCO Champs. They will be heading off to race in East London this weekend at 3 Silo’s Trails.
A lot of work has gone into developing the track for the EC XCO Champs the past few month! It is challenging but not as severe as the SA XCO Track in PE. FUN, TECHNICAL AND FLOWING.
The Eastern Cape XCO Champs will take place at the 3 Silos Adventure Park, on the newly developed purpose built XCO track – designed and built by Jason Peach. The 3 Silos complex offers all amenities, including a restaurant, play area for children and lovely grassed areas for picnics and the tracks have been designed and built with spectators in mind – plenty of fantastic vantage points.
The tracks will be fully marked and open for riding from Friday the 3rd June – 09:00 – 16:30 – riding fee of R10.00 will apply.
Saturday 4th June the track is open for practice from 09:30 to 10:30 (due to a park run).
- Nippers and Sprogs – 10:45
- Main Race – 12:00
- Prize giving – Immediately after the last rider finishes.
The track is challenging, yet safe with all technical areas having a “B” and sometimes even a “C” line for the less experienced riders.
- Measures – approximately 5km
- Start – straight start for approximately 300m before funneling into single track
- Finish – approximately 80m straight level finish – good for final sprint
- Track – beautifully cleaned track approximately 1m wide in most places (except in forest areas). Plenty of overtaking opportunities throughout – except in some technical areas and forest.
- Technical – a number of rock gardens and rock challenges, some tricky drops and descents, a log drop, a number of jumps, including a few table tops, a few root sections and a bridge or two. Plenty of technical short climbs and single track and a few switchbacks.
- Tech areas – has 2 tech/feeding areas/zones which are back to back – one tech zone that services two (both) sides of the track
- Climbs – although there is not one extremely large/long climb, the 150m climbing is fairly technical, with many short sharp climbs
(See track layout)
It is a proper XCO track that will challenge our younger riders and measures 2km. It is part of the main track and makes use of some of the technical areas, such as the log drop, the log garden and some jumps. We may be closing off the very difficult “A” lines – where we have “B” and “C” lines for this group, but for the most part – the description above will also apply to the junior track.